With the extreme changes in the weather conditions in the world, we have started to experience heavy rainfalls even in the summertime. You might have already begun to worry about how to repair water-related damage in your home. However, the key concern should be finding ways to protect your property from the risk of such damage. Thus, you should resolve the cause to ensure that you do not have to deal with repairing repeatedly. Today, we will discuss one of the fundamental causes of water damage you might be dealing with.
Probably, you know the function of gutters installed under the roof of your house. Simply put, the responsibility of your gutters is to channel water flow from the roof through the downspouts and direct it away from your home and its foundation. Without a gutter system or having one that does not function properly, your property will be vulnerable to water damage, such as leaking, rusting, rotting, and pest infestation. Think about dealing with one of these problems without knowing that the fundamental cause is not having a well-maintained gutter system. In that case, you will try to solve the effects again and again while ignoring to annihilate the real problem. Eventually, this will lead you to lose money, time, and energy. Also, you will see that the unwanted effects deepen, making it harder to repair. Accordingly, you should not neglect the importance of having a well-functioning gutter system and learn how to prepare your gutters for heavy rain. So, let us talk about the steps you should follow to ensure your property’s safety and condition by having a properly working gutter system:
1. Check the Condition of Your Roof and Gutters
A vulnerable roof can cause severe damage, so you should regularly check your roof. We also highly recommend you hire a professional to inspect and repair the roof if needed. A damaged roof can cause major risks, so you should especially ask an expert to check the roof right after heavy weather conditions, like storms. This way, you will protect your home and household from damage. Moreover, the roof is essential regarding the structural integrity of your house. Accordingly, a damaged roof will harm the value of your property, so you should eliminate the risk of creating a negative impact on potential buyers with a damaged roof.
Once you ensure that your roof is in excellent condition, you should also be certain that your gutters are well-functioning. You can also ask the professional you hired to check and repair your gutters. At the end of the day, no matter how well-maintained your roof is, you will still risk encountering critical hazards if the gutters are not working well.
2. Renew Your Gutters If Needed
If your gutters are beyond repair for various reasons or they are too old to function correctly, you should renew your gutters. There are several famous and efficient gutters in which you can find the one suitable for the roof of your house. Some of these most-preferred gutter types are as follows:
- K-style gutters: As the most common type of gutters used in modern buildings, K-style gutters are affordable, durable, and easy to install options.
- Half-round gutters: Being generally used in older-style houses, half-round gutters are preferable with their rustic look. They are less likely to clog, thanks to their rounded shape. However, they are heavier than K-style gutters, so you should ask a professional to install them.
- Box gutters: Since they are oversized gutters, box gutters are primarily suitable for industrial and commercial buildings. Their design allows them to collect a larger amount of rainwater so they can be helpful in rainy areas.
Other than types, you should also consider the material of your gutters. Aluminum, copper, vinyl, and galvanized steel are the most common gutter materials. Note that vinyl gutters are not durable enough and they can bend easily, making them too weak to handle heavy rain.
3. Keep Your Gutters and Downspouts Clean
Changing your gutters with the new ones does not mean you have done your job. Gutter cleaning is necessary to avoid problems like ice dams, mold, vermin, and loose or fractured gutters. Since gutters are open on top, debris and leaves collect through the gutters, causing clogging and overflowing. Hence, you should clean your gutters two or three times a year to prevent such risks that can harm your gutters, roof, house, and landscape.
Before cleaning your gutters, you should take safety measures, such as having a sturdy and suitable ladder, wearing non-slippery shoes, heavy gloves, and a helmet, and having a helper that will keep an eye on you while you are working on the ladder.
The second step is to have a suitable toolset for the job. These tools include a plastic bucket to collect debris and leaves, a hand brush to clean the roof from loose debris, a thick plastic gutter scoop to scoop up debris from the gutters, and a pressure washer to get rid of stubborn debris.
You should start cleaning the roof and then continue with clearing all the visible debris in the gutters by hand. Once you remove a large amount of debris, you can work with your tools to get rid of stubborn dirt. As the final step of your cleaning, you can use a pressure washer for deeper cleaning; however, make sure that your washer does not damage your roof or gutters. After completing the cleaning, you should assess the condition of your gutters and downspouts by observing whether there are any holes or cracks.
You should perform a regular gutter cleaning, especially if your area gets heavy rain. Thankfully, keeping your gutters free from dirt will be easier and less challenging after your first deep gutter cleaning.
4. Use Best Gutter Guards for Your Gutter System
You might think regular cleaning is enough to keep your gutters working; however, you should also cover your gutters with gutter guards. Since your gutters are open on top, they will always be vulnerable to being clogged by leaves, debris, and even animal nests. Moreover, gutters without protection require more frequent cleaning, causing you to spend more time and energy on the job. Last but not least, gutter screens are the best way to have well-maintained gutters that can even handle heavy rain. Accordingly, you should use gutter covers to prolong the life of your gutters, reduce the frequency of your gutter cleaning routine, and protect your property from water-related damage caused by clogging or overflowing. If you wonder how gutter covers can prevent all these risks, the answer is quite simple: Gutter guards keep debris and leaves away from your gutters and ensure proper water flow through the gutters and downspouts. With this explained, there remains only one question: how to choose the best gutter guards suitable for your gutters.
First of all, you should be certain that you pick the right size that fits perfectly for your gutters. Although the most-used gutter cover sizes are 5” and 6”, there are also gutter guards with 7” and 8”. Another point is to choose a suitable color for your gutter guards to ensure visual integrity. There are many gutter guard colors, including copper, making your gutters more aesthetically appealing. However, the most important thing you should consider while choosing the best gutter guards is to decide on the correct type of gutter protection. Here are some well-functioning gutter guard types in which you can find the one that fits perfectly with your gutters:
- Waterlock Pro Gutter Guards: These gutter guards are produced with drip-edge technology to make them durable enough to withstand any weather condition. Moreover, they can slow down strong water flow and ensure the strength of your gutters. They are suitable for K-style, box-type, and half-round gutters.
- Waterlock Micromesh Gutter Guards: As they are made from the highest quality of stainless steel, these gutter guards do not degrade, corrode, or rust. They keep all kinds of dirt away from your gutters. They are suitable for K-style, box-type, and half-round gutters.
- Waterlock Half-Round Gutter Guards: These gutter guards are produced to be used for half-round gutters, primarily found in historic houses. Manufactured with cutting-edge technology, these gutter guards can shelter your half-round gutters free from all kinds of debris.
- Copper Gutter Guards: Being made from 16oz copper material, these gutter guards are the perfect choice for those who want to add style to their gutters with the attractive look of copper.
If you feel confused about which type, color, and size of gutter covers are suitable for your gutters, you can try our samples to check these features as well as the functionality of your gutter covers. This way, you can make up your mind and pick the proper gutter protection to keep your gutters and property safe for a long time.
Now that you have all the information you need to prepare your gutters for heavy rain, you can take all the necessary actions to protect your gutters, roof, house, and landscape from water-related damage. If you need more information about gutters, gutter cleaning, and gutter covers, you can take a look at the following blog posts of ours: